ProtoStar: Marriyum Intesama


I have stood up in respect for this amazing lady. Marriyum is one hell of an amazing person and in many ways, I can relate with her. She is a source of inspiration for many and among few people who are not just words but doing something practical. She is an environmentalist which is why she tops my respect level. She is very creative and has high goals. As Co-Founder of The Meraki Magazine, I have learned a lot from her. She is smart and sensible and if you follow her, you would know how amazing her writing is. She is always doing something or to be precise she has the creative skills to make everything she does into a storyline and her Instagram is that book. She is one of my favorite people. It was an honor to be able to interview her and she has answered every question in a perfect manner. She is such a capable editor too.  Ladies & Gentlemen, I present you one of the leading personality, Marriyum Intesama.

1.      How would you define yourself?
As a person who’s in a struggling phase with her passion and profession, both.
2.      How proud are you of being yourself as a writer?
I’d say I’m proud of myself for putting the very first piece on paper and going against my will to put it up on social media
3.      Do you realize that you belong to an only very small percentage of people who can have a huge impact on the world?
I do. I root for fellow writers who are achieving so much and making an impact already. I wish to be there someday too
4.      How proud are you of being an introvert? Does it cause you any problem?
I’m neither an introvert nor an extrovert. I think I keep a rationalized balance between both 
Where do you see yourself in the future?
As a published writer. For the profession; a successful environmentalist representing Pakistan in a wider audience.
5.      What genre you like to write in?  Do you want to focus on one specific genre or be an explorer?
There is no specific genre. Recently I’ve been exploring new structures and patterns.
6.      How are you as a reader?
To be very honest, I am a moody reader. There are days when I finish a book per sitting and then there is this Marriyum who would drag a book for weeks! Recently, I’m reading this books for the past 4 weeks but that’s a different case. I like it so much that I just don’t want it to end. It’s hard.
7.      Name your favorite Book(s)?
That’s a question I don’t think anyone can answer in an interview. The list is too long. I’ll talk about this book I’m recently reading and it’s a winner! “Tuesdays with Morrie”. It’s one of the most amazing books I’ve ever read. I think I’m in love.
8.      How would you want to be remembered as?
That’s a hard one. I guess to remember me as someone who left them something to hold on to. And that could be anything. A memory to cherish, an aspect to love, a mentor to struggle or maybe just a good friend who they can count on to.
9.      Tell something funny about yourself?
I made a research report on caffeine toxicity last semester. It took 6 hours and 4 cups of coffee to complete.
10.  Why do you write?
Writing is a therapy to me. I write to express, to let it all out. If you are blessed enough to juggle with words, why not?
11.  When did you started writing and how?
That was an accidental piece. I’ve always loved reading but writing one was unexpected. The first time I wrote, it was out of frustration because I was unable to speak it out loud.
12.  Have you ever cried while writing?
So many times!
13.  What is your most prized piece of writing?
The Death Contract”. Every word was based on an event I witnessed and wanted to change but I couldn’t.
14.  Who is your ideal as a writer?
I won’t say an ideal but I adore so many writers. These days, I’m a huge Yasra Rizvi fan. I am a fan of content by Shahid Ali Agha, Paul Kalanithi, Rumi, Jojo Moyes, Mitch Albom and so many more.
15.  Who is your mentor? If there is one?
My father, if I talk about my profession.
16.  Do you want to be a full-time writer or think of it as just a hobby?
I enjoy writing as a passion. To keep a light and easy hand. I don’t think I’d want to ruin it. I have other plans for a full-time job.
17.  Have you ever fall in love with someone, you were writing about? It’s the other way around. I have written about someone I was in love with.
18.  Have you ever been heartbroken? Explain (5 marks)
I think we all are heartbroken. It’s broken every other day. And most of the times, we are responsible for ourselves. 
19.  What is the inspiration that gets you going?
Happiness and peace of achieving a goal.
20.  People usually talk about success stories after being successful, how would you define your success story in making? How hard it is? It’s hard when you have fewer chances.
Success doesn’t come easy. I give up hundreds of times but I know I’ll have to stand up again. I’m not sure for how long I am in this race against me but I’m sure I’ll get there. There are things you have to leave behind to get your hands on something much more valuable. It’s hard. Very hard. But it’s worth the struggle.
21.  What kind of help you think you can get in this phase?
            Support. It is the best help you can offer to someone.  
22.  What is your favorite color(s) and why?
Mauve is my color these days. No reason, I just love subtle colors.
23.  How are you as a person? Talk about your strengths and weaknesses?
I think I’m someone who’d never turn people down if they ask for help.  
24.  Are you scared of taking risks?
I fear the consequences but I’ve learned the only way of achieving is to step out of comfort zones.
25.  What is your phobia?
I’m less of a human and more of phobias. I have a list of phobias! Nosocomephobia, that of hospitals and Acrophobia, that of heights tops the list. I’m claustrophobic as well.
26.  How hard it is for you to answer these interview questions?
On the scale of 10, 5 it is. It’s hard to write a precise answer when the question demands details.  
27.  How do you deal with writer's block?
I don’t. I just leave everything, sit back and relax. I know for a fact if I’m hitting writer’s block, it’s probably because I’ve had too much on my plate and I need to shut down for a while.
28.  What is your area of the profession and how hard was it for you to challenge the standard being either a doctor or an engineering mindset?
I’ve always wanted to be an environmentalist. Maybe because I’ve seen my father working in this field. I feel blessed that my parents never forced me into opting for something I was not comfortable with. They clearly told me “it’s your choice and it’s going to be your life. Go for whatever you feel you’re comfortable and easy with.”
29.  What is one stereotype you want to break?
There are so many! But I guess the one that I have an authority on is to not take any dowry with me.
30.  Do you think gender plays a role in success? If so, How?
It doesn’t. At all! I come from a family where women work and they run their homes. And they are successful, as much as any woman would wish to be.
31.  Literature, History, and linguistics today falls under the umbrella of the social sciences department, do you think they are sciences? Does everything has to be science to be cool or Arts are something which is an equally cool department?
-People have actually twisted the definition of art. It is confined only to pencil sketches and messily thrown paints on a canvas. If you look up to the literal meaning of sciences, it actually means “a systematic study of the structures and behaviors”. Also, one synonym for art goes like “application of human’s creative skills and imagination”. So tell me, how can you not put your creativity in history or linguistics? Or is it impossible to design a systematic study for any of these?
32.  How are you as a friend?
I’m not sure how do I answer this but I guess when it comes to friends, I respect their decisions and choices. I value friendship, a lot.
33.  What are your goals in life?
To be a better version of myself, every day for the rest of my life. Everything else comes after this.
34.  How much gratitude helps you in life?
Gratitude, to me, is the most important factor. It makes all the effort worth it. That’s one of the very few things I expect from people.
35.  What is one book that touches your heart?
There are so many amazing titles out there but if I am to choose one, i’ll go with “Tuesdays with Morrie” that i am reading these days. It has definitely made me think about small things in life that matter. I try to appreciate people and things more than ever now. Every chapter leaves me wondering about the blessings I have and I end up thanking Allah for it. No kidding.
36.  What is one book you will recommend to people? One for new readers and one for regular readers?
Go for Kite Runner, when breath becomes air and Alchemist. They’re amazing. If you’re looking for some mystery and tech, Digital Fortress by Dan Brown is a must.
37.  What are your aims or goals in your area of profession?
There are a lot of plans and all of them ends in utilizing my degree to make a positive change even if it is for a small group of people. I’ll be the happiest the day I’ll hear someone tell me how they benefited from any of my work.
38.  What makes you happy and what makes you sad?
People make me happy and people make me sad.
39.  Do you get emotional easily?
I used to. I think I’ve learned a little about how to put my emotions out in a fine way. I’m still learning.
40.  How would this interview help you in your writing path?
I I’m not sure but I’m glad I was able to share my views.
41.  Share a nice quote?
“The inspiration you seek is already within you. Be silent and listen.” -Rumi
42.  If you have to help a person starting their writing path, what would you tell them?
I actually, have made a few people to start writing. I get asked about this very often and I always tell them to go for four things;
1) Read daily. Newspapers, books, blogs anything.
2) Write daily. Be it a couple of sentences or one paragraph. But write and write your heart out. It doesn’t have to match someone else’s standards. Write about how you want to write, what you want to read.
3) Observe. People, things, behaviors, facts, and reality. Observe other writers around you and the way they observe and understand things.
4) Appreciate yourself. Compare yourself to your previous version and not with someone else. Be your own competitor.
43.  What would you like to say to your readers?
Thank you for taking out time to read my content. Keep reading, keep supporting. You are amazing.

Follow her: Marriyum Intesama

Comments

  1. This is so amazing. You are a great inspiration. Stay bkessed and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ProtoStar: Kinza Asghar Khan

ProtoStar: Fariha Narjis